Internal communication happens to be an effective tool that can deal with many problems that habitually arise at a workplace. This is also effective for lessening absenteeism, lessening turnover of employees, and alleviating grievances. And so, internal communication ends up augmenting the profitability and productivity of companies. When you begin to design a successful internal communication system then you will be required to depend on different factors and the most vital is an organization’s size.
When it is a smaller setup then the company head becomes capable of drafting an internal communication policy himself or herself and he takes into consideration the best internal communication tools because the majority of the operations tend to be under his/her direct control. On the contrary, when it is a big organization then other personnel, such as the HR department, managers, and executives play important roles. Another consideration that you need to consider is the level and flow at which IC should happen, like should it be horizontal, upward, or downward?
Kinds of internal communication
If you are the one who is wondering about the kinds of employee communication tools that are obtainable to modern employees then you need to consider the following:
- Resource materials – A company must have particular procedures and policies that it follows and this knowledge base must be obtainable in only one place where managers and employees can access them according to their desires.
- Company leaders – A person needs to share news regarding a company with its workers and it comprises novice directions and strategies that it will take besides various types of announcements, like professional and personal milestones, losses and wins for employees, etc.
- Informal sharing – Peers should be capable of asking questions and supporting every other personally and professionally. This kind of employee communication happens to be very important for forming a surrounding of employee engagement besides optimistic business results.
- Project collaboration – Employees require organized methods for discussing the job that they have been doing and getting jobs accomplished. Commonly, updates aren’t the finest ways to achieve this.
The strategy of internal communication
There are a couple of sides to internal communications strategy. The first is the organizational strategy which concentrates on what is expected to achieve and the methods of achieving it. This strategy would be supported and to a degree delivered too via effectual internal communications. And so, internal communications do help in various levels like:
- TELL – This is a way of anticipating some kind of backlash that needs some persuasion.
- SELL – Sell deals with informing people regarding non-negotiable directions.
- CONSULT – It is a method of particular areas for inputting to the process of decision making.
Effectiveness of internal communication in organizations
IC is the function that is liable for efficient communications among participants in an organization. The range of the function does vary by practitioner and organization beginning from forming to delivering messages. Modern understanding of ICs is considered a sphere of its own besides the best internal communication tools and it draws on the practice and theory of related professions, knowledge management, journalism, public relations, like marketing, human resources, and media relations besides wider organizational studies.